Aloha and Good Morning everyone in the Hawaiian Life community. How are you all doing today? We have a very nice sunny 70 degree day & I was thinking about the nice weather. Whether you have some now or not, it is on the way. Today I am talking about a poisonous toad, you would want to keep your animals away from. Adding my friend Travis Roig to my link section below. Each week, you'll be able to find info on him & his music, and where to find him... ツ
*Pet Alert...Toxic Cane Toads*
One of Hawaii's most common amphibians found all over the islands is one of the most toxic for your pets and humans as well. The Cane Toad, Genus Bufo and subgenus Rhinella, is from the Family Bufonidae and Species Bufo marinus. It is also known as the Giant Neotropical Toad and the Marine Toad. People use them to rid crops of nasty pests. A female lays thousands of eggs, making for a huge supply of pest controlers. Even the tadpoles though are highly toxic to animals if they take a bite or ingest them.
The impact of the Cane Toad in Hawaii is great for crops, but one thing is for sure, it is a highly poisonous toad! They are found in other warmer climates as well as Hawaii, like southern Texas and Florida. If an animal, like your pet cat and dog, eats a part of the toad or just takes a bite, it can cause extreme harm. Regardless of what kind of animal it is, the smaller the pet, the more chances that death may occur. There is a milky venom harboring in the huge parotoid glands that is very toxic. For the most part, you have to watch out for your dogs, because cats seem to sense the toads and stay away, where a curious dog just can't help itself and sticks it's nose where it doesn't belong.
If they do bite the toad, you would have to wash the dogs mouth out with a steady stream of water, paying special attention to the gum and teeth areas. Do not allow the dog to swallow the water... You want the toxins out of their body. Wipe the mouth, getting out as many of the toxins as you can. They can get trapped in between their teeth. Depending on how large your pet is and the amount of toxins he or she has ingested, you will notice changes in them.
First off... call your veterinarian. The animal may start drooling or be shaky. If he ingested a lot of the poison, he may get a locked jaw, along with irregular heartbeats... If this occurs, you had better be on your way to the vet. With the large population of this common toad in residential areas, there are many animals that get poisoned each year.... sadly, some of them never return home, or even make it to the vets office...
These poisonous glands are located on each shoulder behind the eardrum.and even humans have to be careful with these toads. They can grow 4 to 9 inches long and weigh over 2 pounds, with the largest weighing in at almost 6 pounds. As I said they make great pest control. They were introduced back in 1932 in Oahu. Roughly 150 were given to people to manage their crops and within 17 months they had over 100,000. Now they are on all the islands and probably in most yards. Taking precautions, keeping your vets number close by and knowing the warning signs can help to keep your pets safe and away from this toxic toad...
My radio is tuned for the positive music of the souls I see...~MLD
I find that there is more to this life everyday and thankful for getting a chance to experience it...~MLD
That guiding star you seek is a burning brilliance that resides in your soul...~MLD
✿<><❀><>✿*ƑƠԼԼƠƜ Ʋ§ ƠƝ ƬƜƖƬƬƐƦ*✿<><❀><>✿
As I close my eyes I'm standing in a field filled with bluebells and dandelions, the breeze brings the cool air from the mountains...~MLD
❥ ♬ ♪*ಌ*•♪•*ಌ*♪ ツ ƛԼԼ ƬӇƖƝƓ§ ƦƠƖƓ ツ ♪*ಌ*•♪•*ಌ*♪ ♬
ツ Ɩ ƓƠƬ MƳ ƦƠƖƓ ☊ ƬƲƝЄ§... ƳƠƲ ƓƠƬ ƳƠƲƦ§? ツ
❥ ƬƦƛƔƖ§ ƦƠƖƓ §ƖƝƇЄƦЄԼƳ MƛƝƲƑƛƇƬƲƦЄƊ
♪,.•*♥ ℓєт мυѕιc ιηтσ уσυr ѕσυℓ ♥*•.,♪
✿ ӇƛƔЄ ƛ §ƛƑЄ ƛƝƊ ӇƛƤƤƳ ƜЄЄƘ